Kailyn Donovan, a five-year-old girl from Mendon, Massachusetts, was a happy, healthy little girl when her parents, Kristine and Josh Donovan, noticed a small purple mark on the back of her leg while checking for ticks.
They thought it was a bruise
The loving parents thought it looked like a small pinch or bruise, so they hesitantly sent her to school. When the school called and said Kailyn had come down with a fever, Kristine knew something was wrong.
A poisonous spider bit her
They took their little girl to the doctor, who immediately sent them to the emergency room. He suspected Kailyn had been bitten by a spider, but they didn’t know at that point that it was a black widow.
The hospital sent her home with antibiotics and her fever went away, so they thought she was on the mend. She was able to attend her preschool graduation, but she went to the hospital again after the event because of her mom’s intuition. She said, “I had a feeling that the bite didn’t look right. It started to get really nasty.”
An antibiotic finally worked
The hospital gave her yet another antibiotic, and the young girl was officially diagnosed with a black widow spider bite.
They’re taking precautions
Kailyn is feeling better after taking the antibiotic and is making a speedy recovery. “As a precaution, [Kristin] Donovan plans to spray around her house, hoping to kill any venomous spiders that may remain,” according to CBS.